Alexandra Johnstone, Partner
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours), Western Sydney University
- Bachelor of Social Science (Criminology and Juvenile Justice), Western Sydney University
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice, University of Wollongong
- Diploma of Project Management, University of New England Partnerships
- Admitted to the Supreme Court of New South Wales
Areas of Practice:
- Advice on structuring of business arrangements and business deals and drafting resultant agreements
- Commercial contract negotiation and drafting
- Procurement and tendering including advice with respect to tender compliance, presentation of legal risks and issues in terms of risk and opportunity
- Construction law advice and legal services including drafting of simple to complex construction contracts and advice in respect of construction law issues
- Drafting packages of supporting contract documentation that underpin the operation of the contracts
- Service agreements
- Sponsorship and collaborative agreements
- Sale of business whether via asset sale or share sale
- Non disclosure and confidentiality agreements and advice
- Intellectual property advice, management and agreements including advice with respect to trade marks
- Labour hire agreements and other advice in respect of work health and safety issues
- Competition and consumer advice and drafting of terms
- Privacy policies and non-disclosure statements
- Advice on compliance with Australian regulatory bodies
- Agreements, advice and compliance with overseas third party policies
Alexandra prides herself on effective and prompt identification of the real legal issues and risks underpinning her client’s circumstances and business needs and then applying the most commercial, practical strategies to address these legal risks and issues efficiently and cost effectively. Alexandra is passionate about providing strategic, tailored advice and solutions to best manage legal opportunities and risk that arise in her client’s businesses.
Alexandra brings a wealth of over twenty years experience working in the commercial space including working within three major New South Wales state government agencies as an in house lawyer, in private practice, as an in house lawyer for a major university and working on major construction law projects both as a lawyer for the state government and for one of Australia’s largest infrastructure service companies.
Alex's experience has seen her work in roles for some of Australia's leading universities, on large scale government projects including the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games and other major projects including energy and infrastructure construction projects valued over $350m. Alexandra also has a myriad of experience identifying risks and opportunities posed by legal risks and proposed business ventures and activities in respect of remediation projects, energy projects, waste projects, infrastructure and utilities projects, in other construction law projects both in Australia and in Vancouver, Canada. This includes drafting complex legal agreements and suites of contracts underpinning major projects and business ventures and all resultant agreements necessary to give effect to the deal. Alex’s responsibilities included drafting of and advice with respect to a wide range of contracts, deals and project structuring and preparation of full contract suites including from initial procurement phases right through to contract delivery and completion.
In addition to the roles held as a direct result of her legal skill set, Alex has also held positions such as senior university lecturer and mentor for commercial law. She was responsible for the development, implementation and delivery of entirely new commercial law practice course content and ensured that students understood and could implement the fundamentals for practice as required for successful commercial legal practice. Alexandra also researched, prepared and delivered a number of papers in respect of wellbeing and commercial lawyers both within Australia and in Cardiff, Wales as part of her role as an academic as part of her senior university lecturer paper.
Alex is commercial, creative and practical in her approach to providing advice and acting on commercial law and business matters, and she excels in educating all parties in terms of the commercial risks and options to address those risks; the parties’ legal rights and their obligations in any given situation.